Sunday, July 27, 2008

Newsmakers: Moving on to inspire others

Sia Ling Ling performing a wheelchair dance at the AYA Dream Malaysia Awards last year.
Sia Ling Ling performing a wheelchair dance at the AYA Dream Malaysia Awards last year.

SHE was born with muscular dystrophy, a condition that weakens muscles making one unable to walk normally. And her condition will eventually lead to permanent paralysis.

Until then, Sia Ling Ling, winner of the Most Outstanding Youth of the Year Award in 2006, plans to give her all in order to inspire all Malaysians that no feat is impossible.

"Winning the AYA award was was such an encouragement. It was like a sign from God to keep going on. I am now convinced that there is much more in store for me. More people to encourage and changes to bring about.

"I used to lack perspective and self-value. I merely did my best in bringing happiness and not inconveniencing those around me.

"Winning the AYA award led me to realise how important it is to love and help others in society."

After suffering much discrimination in her hometown, the 28-year-old moved to Kuala Lumpur at age 14 to make a living, selling handicrafts. She is currently working at the Beautiful Gate Foundation, helping other disabled people to gain confidence through skills development and employment.

At the Dream Malaysia Awards last year, Sia, who was part of the Beautiful Gate Creative Arts Troupe, performed two wheelchair dances that clearly had the audience moved.

After winning the award, Sia was able to further her studies in mass communication, thanks to a scholarship from one of the awards co-sponsors, Life College.

Sia recently became a part-time announcer with Ai-FM, a new radio station in town. She is also busy coordinating the 15th anniversary celebration of Beautiful Gate, and is planning a performance under her arts troupe.

"A lot of things are happening in my life now and I owe it all to the award. Receiving the award, I now know that that God will continue to use my life to inspire others."

Source: NST Online

No comments: